For those in or nearby San Francisco and looking for something to do this NYE, please come out to this Honey Soundsystem meets Sunset party with guest DJ sets from Kim Ann Foxman and Tim Sweeney. It's all happening at Public Works
Get tickets here (brownpapertickets.com)
I'll be giving away a pair of tickets to the party on this weeks radio show... so make sure to tune in. Tuesday at 10:30pm on WNYU 89.1FM in New York or listen online here: http://wnyu.org/wnyu_mp3.m3u (7:30pm for those on the west coast!). And the number in the studio to call when we do the giveaway is 212.998.1818
It's been over 5 years since we had him on the show, so it's about time to have him back on again... the myth, the legend: Superpitcher
Listen live this Tuesday night at 10:30pm on 89.1FM in New York or listen to the live stream here: http://wnyu.org/wnyu_mp3.m3u
Dimitri From Paris and DJ Koze playing music and Isolée stopping by to talk about his new album!!! really looking forward to this one. Listen live this Tuesday night at 10:30pm on 89.1FM in New York or listen to the live stream here: http://wnyu.org/wnyu_mp3.m3u
Don't miss this one!!
... Tim Sweeney playing at Robert Johnson (Offenbach/Frankfurt, Germany) on 18 December: http://www.robert-johnson.de/
Every Saturday night Radio Campus France will be broadcasting one hour of the radio show across their stations in France. You can check the start times below for each city. This Saturday will be the first broadcast with the KZA mix from this weeks show. I will also be doing some exclusive mixes for the Radio Campus station, so if you're in France, please tune in!
ANGERS - 103.0 > 11 pm
BORDEAUX - 88.1 > 10 pm
BREST - 101.1 > 10 pm
CAEN - 92.7 > midnight
CLERMONT-FERRAND - 93.3 > 11 pm
DIJON - 92.2 (monthly)
GRENOBLE - 90.8 > midnight
LILLE - 106.6 (monthly)
LYON - 90.7 > 11 p.m.
MARSEILLE 88.8 (radio Grenouille) > midnight
MONTPELLIER 102.2 > 11 pm
ORLEANS - 88.3 > 10 p.m.
PARIS - 93.9 > midnight
TOULOUSE - 94.0 > midnight
TOURS - 99.5 > 11 p.m.
Foolish Felix Dickinson will be joining us in the studio tonight and we've also got a guest mix from Mark E on the show. Should be fun.
And this weekend I'll be heading out to Europe to play with Tim Goldsworthy on Friday night at Plastic People in London and then heading over to Athens on Saturday to play a new party there called Outro Athens.
See you soon!
1. The Backwoods - The Backwoods - Ene Records
2. Murphy Jax ft Mike Dunn - It's The Music (Legowelt Remix)) - Clone Jack For Daze
3. Rocha - Feel The Love (Welcome Stranger's Invention Dub) - International Feel
4. Ideal - Schöne Frau mit Geld (Losoul Vocal Remix) - Live At Robert Johnson
5. V/A - Concentration - Volume I - ESP Institute
6. Mark E - Christo - MERC
7. Dr Dunks - Keep It Cheap - Keep It Cheap
8. OOFT - Ride In To The Red Zone - Foto
9. Mim Suleiman - Mingi - Running Back
10. Butler Kendig - And I'm (So In Love) - Mr Intl
unfortunately, the audio server has been down today which is why all the download and stream links are missing. no word yet from the server company on when things will be back up and running. fingers crossed it will all be back to normal by tomorrow.
we arrived in Sapporo and they've got aquariums at the airport! nice!
that weekend it was the annual Yosakoi Festival happening in Sapporo. Crazy outfits and dancing going on
afterwards, it was time for the sound check at Precious Hall
banner at precious hall with their logo
one set of speakers... this sound system was incredible!! please try and make a pilgrimage to this club. it's worth it! I think it's my favorite club in the world now!
keep it McIntosh! (kim ann/silvia photo credit)
sound check (kim ann/silvia photo credit)
then it was off to dinner. tofu up first
a little spinach salad, please
japanese crab! (kim ann/silvia photo credit)
ferris wheel in sapporo
huge japan on the ceiling of the hotel entrance!
back to the club... kim ann performing live! nice shades!
at about 7am they brought out the free coffee for everyone! I needed it. we didn't stop until 10:15am!
kim ann at about 8am
gotta' find the perfect record! (thanks to kim ann/silvia for the photo)
the next day, kim ann and silvia took off for tokyo and I hung around in sapporo for a couple more days. the river in sapporo:
sapporo style road works
japan loves giant mechanical crabs!
then I went for a quick sushi dinner
that one on the left looked crazy
and of course, have to keep things classic with a Sapporo Beer!
my last day in Japan and Satoru-san was nice enough to take me fishing in Sapporo!
there were lots of people fishing where we were
we caught a crab and a flounder. haha
after we finished fishing, Satoru-san took me to check out his other club: Fillmore North. This is where David Mancuso comes to do his Loft party in Japan. It was another amazing place! It's only open once a week and the same crew that works at Precious Hall works at the Fillmore North. I really want to see The Loft there one day. The sound system is exactly like The Loft in New York. All Klipsch Horn speakers:
special needles, turntables and mixer:
view from the dj booth
view of the dj booth
then it was time for a japanese homestyle dinner and off to get some rest before my long flight home!
pick up a special rice ball for the airplane ride
made it to narita airport, now time to fly home! thanks Sapporo!!!
octopus and squid
clams (sorry, forgot to take a picture before we ate them all!)
after dinner we headed to Grandfather's Bar
and met these characters
they really liked Kim Ann and Silvia!
we requested some songs from Grandfather's huge record collection... but they didn't have them!
lunch the next day in shibuya. perfect for the sake hangover.
then it was time for more record shopping... Lighthouse Records
Music Land Key... my key to Japan too: Tokyo, Osaka, Sapporo, Fukuoka!
Next up... Kim Ann doing sound check at Eleven
Silvia and Kim Ann getting ready to eat!
Chef Tim cooking up a storm! (thanks to Kim Ann/Silvia for the photo)
asparagus and salt
raw meat and egg! yeah!
Grilling some meat
more meat and a nice flower!
korean style okonomiyaki
rice number 1
rice number 2
we were stuffed... but time to go to the club. good crowd! (thanks to Kim Ann/Silvia for these last couple photo's)
end of the night... no one wants to go home!
next day at the airport... treated myself to a hokkaido melon ice cream to get ready for sapporo! haha.
After Osaka I headed down to Fukuoka for 3 nights...
first up, lunch at the train station in Osaka
then time for the shinkansen bullet train!
inside the train (I wish Amtrak could be this nice/fast!!):
arriving at Hakata station (Fukuoka's central train station)
then straight to the record store! digro market
view number 2 of ticro market
always have to hit up a Lawson when you're thirsty!
famous Ramen noodle place on the street in front of my hotel
fukuoka style road works
Onsen time! My first experience at a Japanese onsen. We drove about 45 minutes out of the city to this place in the mountains:
entering the onsen
view inside the onsen (sorry, couldn't take any more than that! haha)
after we finished at the onsen, we had dinner at the restaurant there. first up, tofu
then it was a chicken nabe... fukuoka is famous for its chicken
view of the hot pot
after you finish all the chicken and vegetables you add rice and eggs to the soup!
then it was back to Fukuoka... I don't know what it's about, but I like this duck!
the next day I checked out Ohori Park and the ruins of the Fukuoka castle
view on top of the ruins
another view of the city
one side of the castle where they still had a building
shinto shrine on the way to Ohori park
a small bridge in the park
also inside the park
longer bridge to the other end of the park
then it was time for dinner before the party... we went to this spot that specialized in maguro (tuna)!
dinner... all kinds of tuna!
afterwards, it was time to go to the club... Kieth Flack
thanks for the great party, Sati!
the next day... quick soba and rice ball before my flight to tokyo
Thanks to Sati and the crew at Kieth Flack for everything in Fukuoka!
Okay, here's a run down of my Osaka trip... yes, it's all about the food!
flight from Narita airport to Osaka:
Dinner in Osaka.
First up: Tofu
Final version of Okonomiyaki
Drinks (Red Eye and Makkuri)
Osaka Record Stores
Crazy Looking Building
Cafe With Many Cats!
Crazy looking hotel
Rare Groove Records
Front Door for Cauliflower
Inside of Cauliflower
Final version of Kimchi Okonomiyaki
Live Art show
Mr Tan Ikeda DJing at Contort
now onto Fukuoka.
I'm doing a little Japan tour starting this week... see you there!
June 4th at Cauliflower in Osaka
June 9th at Kieth Flack in Fukuoka
June 11th at Eleven in Tokyo with Kim Ann Foxman (of Hercules and Love Affair)
June 12 at Precious Hall in Sapporo with Kim Ann Foxman
check the BIS Twitter for photo's from the road. I'll try to put a bunch up here on thie BIS site as well.
Really excited to be taking over Francois K's Deep Space party for the night. If you're in New York, please try and make it out! (click on the image above to go to the Facebook event page)
It's free entry before 11pm if you print out the flyer and there's an open vodka bar before 11pm as well... so get there early!
Cielo, 18 Little W. 12th Street, NYC
between Washington St. and 9th Ave
A C E 1 9 2 or 3 at 14th St; L at 8th Ave
21+ with photo ID :: $12 cash at the door
The final Optimo (Espacio) is this Sunday in Glasgow. If you're anywhere near, please go! These guys are amazing. The music is amazing. And the people who go are amazing. There's no better party in the world. Long live Optimo!!
We're finally going to do a Beats In Space party in New York. It's happening this Thursday (April 8th) down in the basement at subMercer. There's no cover and we'll have some kind of drink special for the night. Just tell the door guy you're there for the beats in space party! 10pm to 4am.
The monthly San Francisco BIS party is happening this Friday night at Triple Crown (1760 Market Street) with myself, Mike Simonetti (Italians Do It Better) and Linger & Quiet from Portland! I can't wait. We're bringing in extra sound to the club for this night as well.
And on Saturday night, Simonetti and I will be going down to Los Angeles to play at A Club Called Rhonda at El Cid (4212 W. Sunset Blvd). Work!!
PS... we'll be celebrating my birthday at both of these events, so come have a drink!
My favorite party in the world is ending April 25th (after 12 and a half years!!).... get your tickets out there now:
This is going to be crazy! I can't wait. Mark your calendars and come down.
Aquabooty x Beats In Space! March 27 at the Shore Club with:
Dubtribe Soundsystem (live)
Crazy P (live)
Darshan Jesrani (Metro Area) x Citizen Kane
Alex From Tokyo
and more... Yes!!
they'll be calling in from Sydney later on in the show tonight for a little to go along with their mix too.
also, just posted some pictures of my super short tokyo trip this weekend: http://twitpic.com/photos/BISradio - such a good time!
all photo's by Shelton James
really excited to have Harvey coming back on the show this week. Look out for his new Locussolus project coming out on International Feel.
Okay, I'm sure I forgot some... but here's my top 89 for 2009 (in alphabetical order) :
1. 6th Borough Project - Do It To The Max - Instruments Of Rapture
2. The Aliens - The Sunlamp Show (Disco Bloodbath Remix) – Channel 83
3. Animal Collective - My Girls - Domino
4. Azari & III - Reckless With Your Love – Permanent Vacation
5. Azari & III - Hungry For The Power - I'm a Cliche
6. Basic Soul Unit - Things Pass - Ostgut Ton
7. Black Disco Vol 3 - Chains (Nitedog's Anonstop Edit) - Blackdisco
8. Black Meteoric Star - Dreamcatcher - DFA
9. Blackjoy - Monilola - Deeply Rooted
10. Boris - Buzz-In (An Optimo (Espacio) mix) – Scion/AV
11. Bottin - No Static - Italians Do It Better
12. Burial & Four Tet - Moth - Text
13. Chamboche - Ipso Facto - Under The Shade
14. Club Silencio - Painted Boxes (The Heels Of Love Acidisco Version) - Mad On The Moon
15. Code 718 - Equinox (Henrik Schwarz Dub) - Strictly Rhythm
16. Curses! - The Deep End (Holy Ghost! Day School Dub) - Institubes
17. Discodeine - Invert (Parce Que Edit) – D.I.R.T.Y
18. DJ Hell - U Can Dance (Tim Goldsowrthy RMX) - Gigolo
19. DJ Sprinkles - Grand Central Pt.1 (Deep Into The Bowel Of House) MCDE Raw Mix - Endless Flight
20. Dr. Hook & The Medicine Show - Penny (Galleon Trade's Hooked On Penicillin Version) - Golf Channel
21. Etienne Jaumet - For Falling Asleep (Christian Vance Slow Burning Saxless Remix) - Versatile Records
22. The Faint - Battlehymn For The Children (Tensnake Dub RMX) - Boys Noize
23. Faze Action - Good Lovin' - Faze Action
24. Fever Ray - Triangle Walks (Rex The Dog Remix) - Rabid
25. Fever Ray - When I Grow Up - Rabid
26. Fjord Funk - Bells Are Ringing For You (Syntax Erik Remix) - Luna Flicks
27. Floating Points - Vacuum - Eglo Records
28. Friendly Fires - On Board (Joakim Remix) - XL
29. Gotye - Heart's A Mess (Supermayer Mix) - Kompakt
30. Grackle - Desert Acid (Musiccargo RMX) - Supersoul Recordings
31. Gus Gus - Add This Song - Kompakt
32. Hannulelauri - Sally 2000 (Jori Hulkkonen Version) - Flexx
33. The Hasbeens - You And Me - Clone West Coast Series
34. Headman - Gimme (Kango's Autostrada Dei Kaghi Mix) - Relish Recordings
35. Hot Toddy Feat. Ron Basejam - I Need Love (Morgan Geist's Love Dub) - Eskimo Recordings
36. Idioma - Landscapes Tim Paris Remix - Marketing
37. Jacob Korn - I Like The Sun (But Not On LED's) - Running Back
38. Jessica 6 - Fun Girl (Liv Spencer Remix - bis dub)
39. Joakim – Spiders (Extended Version) - Versatile
40. John Selway - Shake The Snow - Throne Of Blood
41. The Juan Maclean - Accusations (Gavin Russom Remix) - DFA
42. Krikor And The Dead Hillbillies - Break It All - Tigersushi
43. Lemonade - Bliss Out (Frisvold & Lindbæk Remix) - Sunday Best Records
44. Lil Tony - Employee Only – Running Back
45. Lindstrom & Christabelle - Baby Can't Stop - Smalltown Supersound
46. LoSoul - Bitshit02 – For Disco Only
47. Marek Hemmann - Inessa - Freude Am Tanzen
48. Matias Agauyo - Ay Ay Ay LP - Kompakt
49. Midnight Magic - Drop Me A Line -
50. Motor City Drum Ensemble - Raw Cuts # 5 / Raw Cuts # 6 - MCDE
51. A Mountain Of One - Bones (Thomas Way Of The Ancients Remix) - AMR
52. Mungolian Jet Set - We Gave It All Away… And Now We're Taking It Back LP - Smalltown Supersound
53. Musiccargo - Cargo Rock - Amontillado Music
54. Mutant Beat Dance - Ina Daze Feat. Eric D Clark - Discos Capablanca
55. Nakion - Deux Ex Machina (Joakim Remix) - Tigersushi
56. Nacho Patrol - Futuristic Abeba EP - Kindred Spirits
57. Naum Gabo - Pictur (Joakim Remix) - This Is Not An Exit
58. Naum Gabo - Black Lab (Discosession Remix) - Endless Flight
59. Neurotic Drum Band - Neurotic Erotic Adventure - Wurst
60. Oni Ayhun - OAR 003-b - OAR
61. Palms - Boundary Waters (Gavin Russom Remix) - Rare Book Room Records
62. Patrick Cowley & Jorge Socarras - Robot Children - Macro
63. Permanent Vacation - Zuckerhut (TBD Remix) – Permanent Vacation
64. The Phenomenal Handclap Band - You'll Disappear (Horse Meat Disco Remix) - Gomma
65. Pixeltan - Yamerarena-i - DFA
66. Precious System - The Voice From Planet Love (Marcus Worgull Remix) - Running Back
67. Prosumer & Murat Tepeli - U & I - Ostgut Ton
68. Redshape - Globe - Delsin
69. Revolver - Birds in Dm (Joakim Remix) - EMI
70. Rune Lindbæk - Odessa – Luna Flicks
71. San Serac - Music Never Ends (M's Music Mix By Morgan Geist) - Environ
72. Scott Hardkiss - Come On, Come On (Morgan Geist RMX) - God Within
73. Seth Troxler & Mathew Dear - Hurt - Spectral Sound
74. Shit Robot - Simple Things (Original and Todd Terje Remix) - DFA
75. SidWho? - Run Violet (Jamie Paton Edit) - The Walls Have Ears
76. Skwerl - Liron - Gigolo
77. Sly Mongoose - Noite (C's Long Edit) - Ene
78. Soft Rocks - Light Bulb - Mule Musiq
79. Still Going - Spaghetti Circus - DFA
80. Stoned Green Apples - Sugar K (Yura Yura Teikoku Remix) - Crue-L
81. Syntax Erik - The Pimp (Dark Dub Version) -
82. TBD - LB (Justin Vandervolgen Edit) -
83. Tensnake - In The End EP - Running Back
84. Thee Mutant Beat Dance - In A Daze Feat. Eric D. Clark - Discos Capablanca
85. Tiga - BeepBeepBeep (Loco Dice RMX) - Different
86. The Time & Space Machine - Time & Space Taxi - 5D
87. Tony Lionni - Found A Place - Ostgut Ton
88. Visti & Meyland - Yes Maam (All Nite Long) (Henrik Schwarz Remix) – Eskimo Records
89. Who Made Who - The Plot - Gomma