For whatever reason, these were the 6 mixes I ended up listening to over and over again in 2011:
1. Matias Aguayo (#558)
2. DJ Steve (#601)
3. Prosumer (#599 and #567)
4. Slow Hands (#590)
5. Matthew Dear (#560)
6. James Murphy (#586)
Friday, Dec 9th : Happy Endings at Barsoma with Sidwho?. BRISBANE
Saturday, Dec 10th : Meredith Music Festival (4:45am slot). MEREDITH
Sunday, Dec 11th : Noise In My Head radio show. RRR 102.7FM. MELBOURNE
Thursday, Dec 15th : Sugar. ADELAIDE
Friday, Dec 16th : HAHA presents at the Marrickville Bowling Club. SYDNEY
Saturday, Dec 17th : The House de Frost at The Toff. MELBOURNE
Friday, 4 Nov: ReviveHER @ EFES Snooker Club (17B Stoke Newington Road, London)
Saturday, 5 Nov: Melting Pot at The Admiral (72a Waterloo Street, Glasgow)
Sunday, 6 Nov: Horse Meat Disco at The Eagle (349 Kennington Lane, Vauxhall, London)
Italian translation first, followed by the english version: Soundwall.it interview
PART1 (Dreaming In Color & Shake The House) :
PART2 (Jack Flash & Lucid Fingers) :
PART3 (In The Mode For Love & Seeing Things) :
PART4 (Untitled & Nethermead Arches) :
Thanks to Aurora Halal for filming this!
Orthy, Junior Boys, Steve Summers (live), Beg To Differ, Morgan Geist, Tiago, Prosumer... Yes!
A nice little review on Prefixmag of the BIS party this past weekend! Thanks again for coming!
photo's courtesy of Joanne Lee
I just wanted to say a big "thank you" to all the people who came out to the 12th anniversary party Sunday! Yes, we had to do a one day switch to a new venue because it was supposed to rain, but the party still went off. It was a sweat box in that SoHo loft, so thanks for sticking it out until the end on a Sunday (and it didn't even rain!!). And, of course, a huge thank you to Kim Ann Foxman, DJ Nature, Matthew Dear, Juan Maclean, Metro Area, Rub N Tug, and Blondes for coming out and making this happen! They're all superstars! Thanks to Jon Hiltz for doing the sound and Jared for the lights. And thanks to Jify and Le Comptoir for pulling it all together.
photo credit: James Behringer
because of the weather forecast for tomorrow (thunderstorms and rain all day) we decided it would be wise to move this indoors.... we found an amazing Soho loft to do the party. Perfect for a Sunday afternoon tea party! It will now be from 2pm to 11pm at the Safe Harbor Loft (446 Broadway near Canal Street in Manhattan). Please let as many people know about this change as you can. Thank you so much and look forward to seeing you tomorrow!!! Tickets are available at ResidentAdvisor.net or $30 at the door.
2pm: Tim Sweeney
3pm: Blondes (live)
4pm: DJ Nature
5pm: Kim Ann Foxman
6pm: Metro Area
7pm: Rub N Tug
8pm: Juan Maclean
9pm: Tim Sweeney
10pm: Matthew Dear
Safe Harbor Loft:
446 Broadway near Canal in Manhattan. 3rd Floor.
Read the whole article at WSJ.com
Yes, we'll be floating the BIS stock soon. IPO action in the works.
Listen to the a-side of the new Paradis single out this week on BIS Records!
order it here: http://www.igetrvng.com/discography/110/
read the full interview here: http://halcyonline.com/2011/qa-tim-sweeney-of-beats-in-space/
Sunday, September 25th, 2011
Matthew Dear (Ghostly Intl)
Juan Maclean (DFA Records)
Metro Area (Environ Records)
Rub N Tug (Eric Duncan & Thomas Bullock)
Kim Ann Foxman (Hercules & Love Affair)
DJ Nature (aka Milo from the Wild Bunch/Golf Channel)
Blondes (performing Live/RVNG)
Tim Sweeney (BIS Records)
Address: 61 N 6th St between Kent & Wythe in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.
Outdoor space with food and drinks.
12pm to 9pm.
Tickets available soon from residentadvisor.net
Facebook Event Page
Save the date: Sunday, September 25th, 2011. Williamsburg, Brooklyn. 12pm to 9pm.
Line-up announcement coming soon!!
Just $10! Get it over at RVNG
we debuted a track from the first BIS Records 12" on this weeks radio show. You can listen to it here:
1. Paradis - La Ballade de Jim - BIS Records
2. Gonno - Acdise #2 - International Feel
3. LIES - Comeback Dust (Max D's Big Top Dustheads Mix) - Future Times
4. Die Vögel - Fratzengulasch - Pampa
5. Butler Kendig - Give It To Me (SnuffCrew remix) - Mr Intl
6. Vahagn - Trust (The Backwoods remix) - Groovement
7. Suzanne Kraft - Morning Come - Running Back
8. Moullinex - Modular Jam - Gomma
9. Tambi - You Don't Know (Horse Meat Disco remix) - Strut
10. Omar Souleyman - Eih Min Elemkom (From The Day That I Told You) - Sublime Frequencies
Starts at 10:30pm here in New York City on WNYU 89.1FM!!
Tonight (August 2) : Shit Robot and Horse Meat Disco
August 9: Tiger & Woods
August 16: James Murphy
August 23: Four Tet
August 30: Mike Simonetti
Listen live at 10:30pm in NYC on WNYU 89.1FM or listen to the live stream here: http://wnyu.org/wnyu_mp3.mp3
interview by Christina Li
Tim Sweeney started his DJ and production career in his Baltimore basement at the young age of 15. Soon after moving to New York to attend NYU, he began broadcasting his radio show Beats in Space, now in its 12th year, which brought him notoriety across the airwaves. Listeners from all over the world can tune in and hear guests like DJ Harvey, Kid Koala, and Simian Mobile Disco play their favorite records on WNYU 89.1 FM every Tuesday from 10:30 p.m. to 1 a.m. Below, Tim discusses with us how he got started, joining James Murphy's DFA Records, and where he likes to get his favorite Vietnamese coffee in S.F. He plays this Friday with Lee Foss, Le Loup and more at Public Works.
You say your radio/DJ career is much attributed to your older brother. How so?
I stole all his ideas! Now I refuse to copy him anymore because he's busy running double marathons and running the Death Race. I like a nice run around the park, but I'd rather not kill myself.
What piqued your interest in radio shows?
It was my brother who was bringing back some cassette tapes of pirate radio shows from London that got me interested in radio. Then I played on a few college radio shows when I was in high school and got hooked on the radio bug. Now, [I'm] 12 years on with my own show and I can't stop!
One of your first jobs in N.Y. was with [hip-hop producer] Steinski.What was the highlight of the internship?
Yeah, Steinski was the first person I worked for when I got to New York. I learned so much from him! He's a true New York character. I think the highlight for me was the job of going through his thousands of records, listen to them, tap out the BPM of the tracks, and then write it down on a sticker on the sleeve of the record. What an education that was listening to his records! It really opened me up to so much hip-hop, soul, funk, blues, and spoken word records.
How did you become a part of DFA records?
That happened because I was working regularly at this bar called Plant on Third Street and Avenue B in the East Village. I used to open up for a lot of parties that happened there. You know, play the slot from 7 to 10 p.m. before anyone was actually there. Luke, the singer for the Rapture, was the bartender there, and I guess he kind of liked what I played because he said I should meet these guys who were producing their new record Out of the Races and onto the Tracks. I was playing a lot of old Mo' Wax Records stuff at the start of the nights, and he said one of the guys producing the record was "Trip Hop Tim." I said, "Who?" And then Luke told me how Tim Goldsworthy was producing their record with another guy named James Murphy. I knew Goldsworthy's work from the UNKLE and Major Force West records he produced, so I told Luke he had to introduce me the next time those guys were in the bar! Well, one night they showed up, probably high on Ecstasy as they usually were in those days, and I went up to them and said hello. I made a little small talk and then asked if they needed any help in the studio. They said "Sure, come on by," and then they couldn't get rid of me!
What inspired the name of your radio show, Beats in Space?
Being 18 in New York and not knowing what I was getting myself into.
Tell us about one of your most memorable shows.
The shows aren't memorable anymore, it's the listeners! Have you heard the messages from Victor [of Washington Heights]? He wants to kill me! He gets really upset if I don't play dance music. He hated the DJ Harvey show because the interview went on for way too long, so Victor said I would get my teeth kicked in by a bunch of girls so I couldn't
interview anymore. It's pretty memorable!
What do you attribute the success of Beats in Space to?
I still don't understand it!
Since you've been doing radio shows for a while, what do you think is missing in radio today? Why do you think some stations have gone under (like our own KUSF)?
Well, there are about three corporations who own almost all the radio stations in the country and they've watered everything down to the lowest common denominator in true American fashion. You don't actually have any personalities choosing the music on most stations anymore, it's just computer-generated playlists of "stuff that works" aka "bland shit." I think that has helped to add to the slow death of radio and made young people a lot less interested in it. So then the universities see that the students don't care about radio anymore and they sell their stations for some extra cash. The whole thing is sad.
Since you frequent S.F., what are some of your favorite spots?
I like getting a nice cold Vietnamese ice coffee in the Tenderloin, then walking around until I get harassed on the street while enjoying the nice smells that remind me of New York.
and more BIS Hotline messages from Victor, if you're interested:
It's time for the Cómeme style of Diegors aka Diego Morales aka Fredi Michel on BIS tonight... straight from Santiago, Chile. Listen live at 10:30pm on WNYU 89.1FM in New York City... or check the live stream here: http://wnyu.org/wnyu_mp3.mp3
Diegors next gigs:
July 15 - Diegors & Charlotte bendiks @ Datera Till Hagen, Oslo
July 22 - "Bring your ass for Whodat" Benefit Party with Matias Aguayo, Waltraud Blischke, Viola Klein, Tim Elzer @Stecken Bar Cologne
July 23 - Cómeme night with Matias Aguayo , Ana Helder, Christian S , Korkut Elbay & Lena Willikens @Salon des Amateurs , Düsseldorf
July 30 - Cómeme night With Ana Helder , Philip Gorvachev, Christian S & Korkut Elbay @ Gewölbe Club, Cologne
Aug 12 - With Ana Helder & Alejandro Paz @ Salon des Amateurs, Düsseldorf
Aug 13 - With Ana Helder & Alejandro Paz @ Stecken Bar, Cologne
Aug 19 - With Matias Aguayo & Daniel Maloso @Sud Theatre, Stockholm's Culture Festival. Stockholm
K.U.D.O. has been a huge musical hero of mine, so I'm really honored to be able to feature a mix from him on the show!! I still can't believe it's happening. K.U.D.O. is the man! In 1987 Major Force was started in Japan with K.U.D.O., Toshio Nakanishi, Takagi Kan, and Hiroshi Fujiwara. This box set of their past works that came out on Mo' Wax in 1997 is one of my all time favorite albums and I featured a bunch of tracks off it on the Japan Special I did back in March. Please tune in to the show next week!
Listen on July 5th at 10:30pm on WNYU 89.1FM in New York City or the live stream here: http://wnyu.org/wnyu_mp3.mp3
maybe you forgot about the BIS Hotline? (646) 481-8189... well, Victor from Washington Heights remembers to call every week:
The show starts at 10:30pm in NYC on WNYU 89.1FM... or listen to the live stream here:
Upcoming DJ Harvey European tour dates:
Thursday 16th June - SWEDEN - STOCKHOLM - TRADGARDEN
Friday 24th June - GERMANY - HAMBURG - BAALSAAL
Sunday 26th June - GERMANY - BERLIN - PANORAMA
Wednesday 29th June - NORWAY - TROMØY - HOVE FESTIVAL
Saturday 2nd July - AMSTERDAM - TROUW
Sunday 3rd July - AMSTERDAM - SOURCE FESTIVAL
Wednesday 6th July 2011 - FRANCE - SETE - WORLDWIDE FESTIVAL
Thursday 7th July - FRANCE - PARIS - SOCIAL CLUB
Friday 29th July - PORTUGAL - LISBON - VENUE TBC
Saturday 30th July - PORTUGAL - OPORTO - NEOPOP FESTIVAL
for the Portuguese version of Fact Magazine: "Tim Sweeney: batidas de S. Paulo a Nova Iorque"
live in the WNYU studio:
Check the Live Safer blog from the Robert Johnson club in Germany.... they did a little "behind the scenes" photo-documentary at the Itsoktohateyourjob night with residents Oliver Hafenbauer and Manuel Raven plus guest Tim Sweeney. All photographs taken by Julia Katharina Ziegler
and here's "I Don't Smoke":
Then on Friday I'll be heading up to Boston to play at Good Life for the Never Say Never party
from Ghostly International and Spectral Sounds and who also records as Audion, False, and Jabberjaw will be joining us in the studio tonight for guest dj mix. Tune in at 10:30pm on WNYU 89.1FM or listen to the live online stream here
This Tuesday night we'll have Matias Aguayo from Kompakt Records joining us on the show for a live performance. Be sure to tune in at 10:30pm on 89.1FM in New York or listen to the live stream: http://wnyu.org/wnyu_mp3.m3u When JD Twitch from Optimo says Matias Aguayo was "without a doubt the most entertaining dj set I've seen this year" we listen!
Be sure to get your calls in to the BIS Hotline before the show! Maybe you have a question you want to ask Matias Aguayo or just call and say hello: (646) 481-8189
It's going to be a great show next week with Roman Flügel (Playhouse, Live At Robert Johnson, Alter Ego) and DMX Krew (Rephlex, Permanent Vacation). Call the BIS Hotline and leave any messages you have for them: (646) 481-8189
Listen live on Tuesday, 25 January at 10:30pm on 89.1FM in NYC or the live stream: http://wnyu.org/wnyu_mp3.m3u
The top 89.1 tracks I listened to in 2010
1. The Backwoods - The Backwoods LP - Ene Records
2. Cos/Mes - Gozmez Land (Chaosexotica) - ESP Institute
3. John Roberts - Glass Eights - Dial
4. The Laughing Light Of Plenty - The Laughing Light Of Plenty LP - Whatever We Want
5. Shit Robot - From The Cradle To The Rave LP - DFA
6. Superpitcher - Kilimanjaro LP - Kompakt
7. Aloe Blacc - I Need A Dollar (Tensnake RMX) - Stone Throw
8. Andy Ash - Freak - On The Prowl Breaks
9. Arthur Russell - How We Walk On The Moon (Youth Re-Rub) - Foot + Mouth
10. Arto Mwambe - One Lonely Knight (Extended Live Mix) - Live At Robert Johnson
11. Beautiful Swimmers - Touch Base - Future Times
12. Benoit & Sergio - Midnight People (Vocal Version) - Spectral Sound
13. Bib Tanga and The Selenites - Be Africa (Beg To Differ Remix) - Wurst
14. Bicep - Darwin - Throne Of Blood
15. Bot'Ox - Blue Steel (Feat. Anna Jean) - I'm A Cliche
16. Bubble Club - Morning Star (Soft Rocks Remix) - Bubble Club
17. Butler Kendig - Oh Baby (Snuff Krew Remix 1) - Mr Intl
18. Cantoma - North Shore (Idjut Boys Version) - Leng
19. Caribou - Odessa - City Slang
20. C.O.M.B.I. - Hey Look Out - C.O.M.B.I.
21. Coyote - Moving (Still Going Remix) - International Feel
22. The Crystal Ark - The City Never Sleeps - DFA
23. Delia Gonzalez & Gavin Russom - Track 5 (Âme Remix) - DFA
24. Dexter - Not The Only One (Vox) - Rush Hour
25. Discodeine - Synchronize (Feat Jarvis Cocker) - DIRTY/DFA
26. DJ Nature - Destiny Reprise - Golf Channel
27. DJ Sprinkles - Masturjakor (KiNK And Neville Watson Remix) - Mule Musiq
28. DJ T - Dis (Kink Remix) - Get Physical
29. Don Froth - 10,000CC - Phonica White
30. Dr Dunks - Keep It Cheap - Keep It Cheap
31. Emmanuel Jal - Kuar (Henrik Schwarz remix) - Innervision
32. Fairmont - 3 Cities - Traum
33. Francesco Tristano - Idiosynkrasia - Infiné
34. Hardton - Earthquake - International DJ Gigolo
35. Hector - Orale (Sis Remix) - Phonica Records
36. Hercules & Love Affair - I Can't Wait (KiNK RMX) - Mr Intl
37. Hot Chip - One Life Stand (Carl Craig PCP Remix) - EMI
38. Hot Chip - I Feel Better (Florian Meindl Remix) - Flash
39. Ideal - Schöne Frau mit Geld (Losoul Vocal Remix) - Live At Robert Johnson
40. James Chance And The Contortions - Incorrigible (Liv Spencer And DJ Spun Mix) - Rong
41. Jayson Brothers - The Game - Drum Poet Community
42. Jee Day - Snake Bite - DFA
43. John Talabot - Sunshine (Blondes Remix) - Hivern Disc
44. John Tejada - Sweat (On The Walls) (Martin Landsky Remix) - Poker Flat
45. Jori Hulkkonen - I Am Dead (Hercules And Love Affair Remix) - Sugarcane
46. The Juan Maclean - Feel So Good - !K7
47. Kaine feat Kathy Diamond - Love Saves The Day (Soulclap Remix) - Needwant
48. Kim Ann Foxman - What You Need - Mr Intl
49. KiNK - Existence - Ovum
50 .Kölsch - Loreley - Kompakt Extra
51. KZA - Le Troublant Acid - Endless Flight
52. Lauer - H.R. Boss - Live At Robert Johnson
53. LCD Soundsystem - Throw - Planet E
54. Lee Foss - U Got Me - Hot Creations
55. Locussolus - Throwdown - International Feel
56. Butler Kendig - Get Into The Groove - Mr Intl
57. Matthew Dear - Little People (Black City) - Ghostly International
58. Max Essa - Midnight And A New Direction (Visti & Meyland Remix) - Bear Funk
59. Maxxi Soundsystem - Criticize - Kojak Giant Sounds
60. Mick - Macho Brother - 10 Inches Of Pleasure
61. Midland - Play The Game (Dexter Remix) - Phonica Records
62. Mim Suleiman - Nyuli - Running Back
63. Mock & Toof - Shoeshine Boogie (Wolf + Lamb remix) - Wolf + lamb
64. Mode - Lo Fi Odyssey (The Stallions Remix) - Codek Records Europe
65. Moodymann - Ol' Dirty Vinyl - KDJ
66. Mungolian Jetset - Moon Jocks n Prog Rocks - Smalltown Supersound
67. Murphy Jax ft Mike Dunn - It's The Music (Alden Tyrell Remix) - Clone Jack For Daze Series
68. NDF - Since Last We Met - DFA
69. Nick Chacona feat Kathy Diamond - Fear (Bostro Pesopeo dub) - Moodmusic
70. Nicolas Jaar - Mi Mujer - Wolf + Lamb
71. No Regular Play - Serious Heat - No.19 Music
72. OOFT! - Ride In To The Red Zone - Foto
73. Petar Dundov - Distant Shores - Music Man
74. Rocha - Feel the Love (Welcome Stranger Remix) - International Feel
75. Roman Flügel - Brian Le Bon - Live At Robert Johnson
76. Shit Robot - Take Em Up (John Talabot Remix) - DFA
77. Simian Mobile Disco - Sweetbread - Delicacies
78. Siriusmo - Blaue Sonne - Monkeytown Records
79. Skatebård - Starwatcher II - Luna Flicks
80. Soul Clap - Extravaganza - Wolf + Lamb
81. Steve Moore - Frigia - L.I.E.S.
82. Storm Queen - Look Right Through - Environ
83. TBD - Bigs - TBD
84. TBD - Get To My Baby (TBD Extension) - Golf Channel
85. Trickski - Pill Collins - Suol
86. Virgo - Never Want To Lose You - Rush Hour
87. Welcome Stranger - Brolene - Let's Get Lost
88. The XX - VCR (Four Tet remix) - Young Turks
89. Yelle - La Musique (Discodeine mix) - Kitsuné
.1. Yours - Yours - Domeright
I found myself always going back to these couple of record labels in 2010 and loving so many of their releases:
Juan Maclean : Show #533
DJ Harvey : Show #504
Superpitcher : Show #551
Holy Ghost! : Show #506
Soul Clap : Show #541
Isolee & Koze : Show #550
Eric Duncan : Show #511
Balearic Mike : Show #534
Canyons : Show #507
1. Most fun in Paris: BIS 10th Anniversary party with Optimo and Superpitcher at the Social Club (Jan 16)
2. Still my favorite venue in Portugal: Lux Fragil, Lisbon (Feb 12)
3. Craziest times in Moscow: Denis Simachev Bar (Feb 19 & Oct 22)
4. Most fun in Sao Paulo: Lions (Feb 26)
5. Can't believe how many people show up for a party in Minneapolis and dance to anything: First Avenue (Mar 6)
6. Best party where absolutely no one shows up until the last hour: Queen Kong Club, Neuchatel (Mar 20)
7. Still in love with Glasgow crowds: Melting Pot (May 1) and Hung Up (Jul 4)
8. Weekend I might not have made it home alive: Rub N Tug at Dissonanze Festival (May 21) and Eric Duncan at Tunnel Club, Milan (May 22)
9. Best new US venue: U Street Music Hall, DC (May 30 & Oct 16)
10. Favorite venue/sound system in the world (and serves free coffee after 6am): Precious Hall, Sapporo (Jun 12)
11. Best party in New York: Marcy Hotel, Brooklyn (Jun 20)
12. Biggest crowd: Roskilde Festival before LCD Soundsystem, Denmark (Jul 1)
13. Best scenery at an outdoor festival: Aires Libres Festival, Marseille (Sep 5)
14. Best party before a visit to the hospital: Excuse Me?, Valencia (Oct 2)
15. Favorite new venue in Turkey: Mini Muzikhol (Nov 13)
16. Best party shut down by the police: Viet Cong Disco with Juan Maclean, Brooklyn (Dec 3)
17. Best home cooked dinner in the club's office: Robert Johnson, Frankfurt (Dec 18)