Pick up the whole BIS Records catalog
The next release on Beats In Space Records is in stores on July 15th. Video Directed by Johannes Palmroos:
Each track displays the artwork from the original 12" too!
"Issue 1 also features in-depth interviews and studio visits with Lovefingers, Philippe Zdar, Kindness, Veronica Vasicka, Joakim and more. "
Photo's of Tim by Paul Barbera.
The radio is a memory machine. It is an airborne exchange of information between celestial host and terrestrial audience. Radio is a medium which configures collective cognition through mass media, harmonizing voice and anonymous ear. The magic of radio exists in its connectivity.
For many in their formative years, this connection occurs within the emancipated preserve of college radio. Beats in Space began and perseveres in this preserve, though its reach now extends beyond campus to wider culture. As a student, Tim Sweeney began broadcasting on WNYU in 1999. Twelve years later, Sweeney created a label under the same name, preserving waveform memories permanently to wax.
Paradis’ “La Ballade de Jim,” the first release represented on BIS: 001 – 020, a compilation surveying the first twenty Beats In Space Records releases, embodies the consideration and sophistication a twelve year history lends a label. A driving, memorable bassline; blurred, drifting keys over an interminable sequencer, presented with crystal clear production. Decisively understated, it offers an overwhelming possibility of what is to come.
The bounty of releases beyond range from aquatic slow burners (Dukes of Chutney’s “The Smiling Cheshire”) to sweeping Balearic compositions (Tornado Wallace’s “Desperate Pleasures”), to outrageous expressions of club-generated sublimity (Crystal & S. Koshi’s “Break the Dawn”).
The label’s most recent offerings prey on the heavenly-hearted with House of Spirits’ (the nom de plume of Tom Noble) anthemic “Holding On,” the existential / extraterrestrial acid lovers with Palmbomen II’s self-titled album, and the person who just likes to take ecstasy and dance next to the speaker all night while T & P’s (Tim Sweeney and Phillip Lauer) “Shoot The Freak” sets fire to all synapses.
It’s clear what makes these releases harmonious. In keeping with the sensibility coveted by Sweeney during his time on air, there’s an attitude: a little bit rude, but softened with sensitivity. There is a sense of motion, narrative and duration; a dedication to crescendo, a theatricality that never yawns. An appreciation for melody, but not at the expense of propulsive percussive textures.
There is an ambience in this music that suggests and searches for space. Not necessarily the cosmic kind of space (though we never upturn our nose to galactic grooves), but the kind inhabited by and for dancers. BIS releases are drenched, or at least dipped, in the particular nostalgia experienced as one meets the eyes of a friend across a crowded floor and the memory of an entire relationship rushes through blood in a wordless, serotoninic moment.
The striking balance between consistency and singularity in the musical quality of each release is matched by carefully considered artwork. Every BIS record is afforded a visual component created by equally distinguished artists who, finding themselves in the ever-expanding orbit of the BIS family, extend their services with pride.
The level of consideration inherent to Tim’s selection process for the label seems to have slowed, even stalled his aging process. He is still the same teenager he was when he first stepped into the WNYU studio. And though firmly and foundationally ensconced in the NYC and international dance music world, Tim is still something of an outlier, someone who remains awkward, determined, and curious.
Here's the first track from the 12":
Sign up here to come to the event.
Get that house party started! WNYU 89.1FM from 10:30pm to 1am. Farley Rossiter and I are taking over the New York City airwaves. MegaMasterMix Friday night session. No archive of this one, so don't miss out... tune in live on the radio or listen to the stream.
Buy the album here.
Don't miss it!!
President Bongo has just released his solo album "Serengeti" and this amazing 16 minute video:
Super limited, promo black labels only available for purchase by going to the Commend store (172 Forsyth) in New York City.
*Time: Doors at 6:00pm, stream begins at 7:00pm SHARP
*PLEASE MENTION MIXMAG AT THE DOOR FOR FREE ENTRY
*Free Open Bar!
*395 Wythe Ave., Brooklyn, NY
Warm up by Farley & Eric from Tuff Cone!
Watch it later online at Mixmag Lab
Listen back to it here.
Listen back to the mix here
In this extra from the documentary "Revolutions On Air: The Golden Era of New York Radio 1980 - 1988", RBMA talk to Tim Sweeney, Eli Escobar and Kim Ann Foxman about the impact it has made on their radio and musical careers.
Recorded live at Rainbow Disco Club in Izu, Japan on May 2, 2015.
Fact Magazine have done a 10 minute documentary on Beats In Space::
Palmbomen II album coming to Beats In Space Records on March 3rd.
This Friday they will both be playing together in Newcastle at SR44. Tickets here.
And Saturday night Tim Sweeney will be back in London at Fabric in Room 3 with the Warm crew. Tickets available here.
Thanks to XLR8R for doing this feature and everyone who added to it: Prosumer, JD Twitch, Ron Morelli, Jeremie Deleon, Mike Servito, Bryan Kasenic, Justine D, Josh Cheon, Jacob Sperber, Kim Ann Foxman, Matt Werth!!
Thanks to Bruce Tantum for writing the feature!
RSVP to make it to the party in NYC.
Animation by Christine Gensheimer
Buy the EP here.
An article today in Juno Plus about Beats In Space Records.
"Não Acorde O Neném" from his album "Coisa Boa" on Luaka Bop:::
It's in stores next week (June 24th)! Pre-order it from RVNG.
"By the time that guitar comes back in at ten minutes, it has become the best new Disco record that you`ll hear all year, leaving the fade to bongos and a House piano roll. Vinyl DJs will need two copies."
House Of Spirits "Holding On" is in stores on May 20th!
Come to the record release party this Wednesday, May 7th, at the303 at Louie and Chan (303 Broome St).
For the German speakers, Intro Magazine did a small feature on Tim Sweeney and Beats In Space:
Starts at 10:30pm on WNYU 89.1FM in New York City!
Listen to the live stream from 10:30pm to 1am tonight.
Recorded on June 9th, 2013.
And Tim Sweeney makes it in at number 8 with this live recording from Le Bain in 2012.
The Guardian newspaper declares "2013: year of piano house" and that the Beats In Space release from Crystal & S. Koshi "the zenith of 2013's piano house revival"!
Pick up the 12" at RVNG
Recorded live at a loft party in New York City. This mix is only available at Disk Union in Japan.
For their 100th issue! Congrats Juice!
Listen live on WNYU 89.1FM in New York City or listen online to the live stream!!
We've got Steffi and Virginia from Ostgut Ton/Panorama Bar taking over BIS this Tuesday at 10:30pm on WNYU 89.1FM in New York City! You'll be able to listen to the live stream from here.
And the Dukes Of Chutney "Domino EP" on Beats In Space Records is out this week! We're debuting a new video for each song this week. The first up is "Domino":
We made these limited edition Secret Circuit t-shirts for the "Tactile Galactics" release party in NYC. There are just a few left, so pick one up now before they're all gone.
Full color, digital print on white, 100% cotton and preshrunk Gildan t-shirts. All shirts are $25 + shipping.
Big thanks to Radio Campus France for the recording and broadcast!
After a little summer break, we're back and broadcasting on Saturday nights across France on Radio Campus France!
We'll also be broadcasting a special show on Radio Campus France on October 11th to celebrate 14 years of BIS and two years on Radio Campus!
That same night we have a big party at La Machine Du Moulin Rouge:
Here's Tim Sweeney's 40 minute set:
the good people over at Wood Wood in Copenhagen have the exclusive on this live recording from June 21st in NYC:
Thanks so much to !!! for coming down to the WNYU studio this week. Be sure and check out the whole show!
Release Date: June 18th, 2013
(All orders ship on or around June 18th)
Lewie Day – aka Tornado Wallace – ups the meteorological ante and turns in some laser-guided, ethno-hypno, eco-lectro jams for the eighth Beats In Space Records release.
The three tracks of Tornado Wallace’s Desperate Pleasures EP sound like the work of a comfortable yet adventurous producer who isn’t afraid to take a simple yet exotic theme and stride to the other side of the jungle. According to Wallace, this is “music for darker times in warmer climes, for where there is sun there are shadows.”
What began as in-the-moment experiments with an assortment of old synths, drum machines, and dusty library records evolved into three super dapper, viscerally contaminated compositions, each one more zoned in / out than the next.
Drawing from 70s kraut, 80s post-punk, electro, and 90s house and trance, the ten plus years of producing / DJ experience that Wallace boasts allow for all of these elements to fuse together quite tastefully and strikingly at that. Ultimately, these Tornado jams dodge genre conventions for a curious and compelling outcome.
Each 12″ from Beats in Space Records features original artwork in considerate and serial form. This 12″ features the tropical creature comforts of Californian Steven Harrington and comes on tri-colored, Day-Glo splattered wax. The 12″ packaging constructed by Will Work For Good features a removable vinyl BIS logo cling.
Tornado Wallace’s Desperate Pleasures will be released on June 18, 2013 on Beats In Space as a limited edition 12” and digitally.
The one hour mix can be found here.
Buy tickets in advance!
Long interview up over at the DJ History website. Thanks to Mark Treadwell for conducting the interview.
This month Huge Magazine in Japan has their annual music issue and they've done a six page spread on Tim Sweeney.
Listen to the full album with exclusive artwork:
Album Out April 30th on Beats In Space Records! Buy it here: RVNG
Prosumer showing why he's still the boss:
Now handled by Alma at Backroom Entertainment along with the rest of Europe and Asia.
A L.I.E.S. special edition of BIS with Ron Morelli and Delroy Edwards before they head out to Europe on tour!
Tune in at 10:30pm on Tuesday, March 12th, 2013. WNYU 89.1FM in New York City or listen to the live stream from WNYU
Bringing the BIS vibe to Croatia this summer with Eric Duncan, Tiago, Justin Vandervolgen, Lee Douglas and Tim Sweeney!!
From Beats In Space Records 005 release:
Digital and Vinyl out now!
Check your local record store for the 12"!!
here's what is coming up....
*Tuesday, Dec 18th - Abe Duque on BIS
*Tuesday, Dec 25th - Best of 2012 show on BIS
*Friday, Dec 28th - Reveillon Milagres no Piauí at Barra Grande do Piauí, Brazil! : http://www.facebook.com/Reveillon.Milagres
*Jan 1st - hungover New Years Day BIS (with surprise special guests)
*Jan 5th - Somewhere Beyond party in Tulum, Mexico : http://www.facebook.com/SomewhereBeyond
*Jan 8th - Tin Man live on BIS
*Jan 11th - Panorama Bar, Berlin
TIM SWEENEY - 22:10 - 23:00
YOUNG MARCO - 21:20 - 22:10 (DJ)
SEAN P - 20:30 - 21:20 (DJ)
LAND OF LIGHT - 20:00 - 20:30 (LIVE)
JAMES COOPER & NICK HADFIELD - 19:00 - 20:00 (Boiler Room Residents)
Other upcoming tour dates:
Fri, Nov 30 - ReviveHER, London: http://vimeo.com/54141523
Sat, Dec 1 - 2022nq, Manchester
Fri, Dec 7 - Rockstore with Superpitcher, DIRTY Soundsystem and Sundae in Montpellier
Sat, Dec 8 - Robert Johnson in Frankfurt/Offenbach
Oct 17 - Le Baron, NYC
Oct 25 - Lux, Lisbon
Oct 26 - BIS13 at IBoat, Bordeaux with Prosumer and Paradis
Oct 27 - BIS13 at Panorama Bar, Berlin with Optimo, Soundstream, Gavin Russom
Oct 31 - La Petite/Worlwide Festival, Toulouse
Nov 2 - Klubnacht Hippie Dance, Cologne with Pachanga Boys
Nov 3 - Opium Club, Vilnius
Nov 9 - Glasgow Arts School (Berkley Suite), Glasgow
Nov 10 - mono_cult, Leeds
Nov 16 - TBA, Tokyo
Nov 17 - Precious Hall, Sapporo
Nov 23 - National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne
Nov 24 - Marrickville Bowling Club, Sydney with HAHA Industries
Nov 29 - Boiler Room, London
Nov 30 - ReviveHer, London
Dec 1 - 2022nq, Manchester
PART 1- October 12th, 9pm- 4am:
PACHANGA BOYS (mexico/ germany- US debut)
TIM SWEENEY (new york)
Cover: $20 adv. / $25 d.o.s.
PART 2- October 13th, 9pm- 4am:
MATIAS AGUAYO (chile)
IVAN SMAGGHE (france)
TIM SWEENEY (new york)
Cover: $20 adv. / $25 d.o.s.
Here's video from the radio show during the debut of the new Lauer 12" on BIS and Victor From Washington Height's thoughts on the track!
Order the 12" here: http://www.igetrvng.com/discography/142
Do we have to wait?
Are we doomed to simply roll over and over inside this city grave, waiting for the chinese grandmother of post-internet life to fish us from the trash one-by-one?
We've all been waiting for something new. Something different. It's time to take the steps. Together we can recycle ourselves for a new and improved existence. Attend. Unite. Cleanse one another. Be renewed in the dance.
On September 21st, the dawn of a new age can start, but only if you will it. Come join the away team as we embark on an ethereal journey to Heaven's Gate. There we shall come together to let paradise wash over us through the astral sounds of Beats In Space honcho Tim Sweeney and our international friends Axel Boman, Kornél Kovács & Petter Nordkvist of Studio Barnhus.
Studio Barnhus is many things – a DJ trio, a record label, a studio on Barnhusgatan (”Orphanage street”) in Stockholm, a big blob of vivid colour splashed right onto the grayscales of modern dance music. It's what happens when Axel Boman, Petter Nordkvist and Kornél Kovács combine forces to create something magical.
Axel is in fact the Swedish word for shoulder, but Mr. Boman could just as easily have been named "Rumpa", the Swedish word for ass, since most of his life has been dedicated to moving just that body part. Having built a reputation for himself in the Stockholm club scene, he is acknowledged as one of Sweden’s most skillful and best looking DJ dudes. Known as the hotshot producer who broke through with the screw house smash ”Purple Drank” on DJ Koze's imprint Pampa Records in 2010, his sound is raw, playful and drenched in oceans of soul – just the kind of stuff the dancefloors of today are longing for. His tunes have garnered support from the likes of Magda, Seth Troxler and Brodinski as he continues to deliver hit after hit on Permanent Vacation, Moodmusic, Glass Table, Hypercolour, Tartelet and of course Studio Barnhus.
Kornél has been doing his best to put Sweden on the rave map, dropping well-placed parties and rounding up armies of revellers like a master Risk strategist all over the country. He's played alongside international heavyweights like Richie Hawtin and Moodymann, while keeping the airwaves ahead of the curve as the presenter of Sweden's most popular radio show for electronic music, P3 Dans. He's also been quietly crafting "non-linear techno and house beats with lots of strössel on top" in the Barnhus studio which have ended up favorites of dance aficionados such as Michael Mayer, Jesse Rose and John Talabot.
As a DJ crew, Studio Barnhus has created havoc in dodgy gin joints and blooming warehouses from Budapest and Barcelona to Tokyo and Tlacotalpan. Expect a perfectly organized mess of avant-garde techno/house hits, small but sweet glimpses of pop heaven, and italo disco b-sides your new boyfriend is too stupid to know about when Barnhus takes over the booth.
Check out their Resident Advisor interview for more info:
See you on the other side.
Friday September 21st, 2012
@ Santos Party House
96 Lafayette St
STUDIO BARNHUS INVASION
Axel Boman, Kornel Kovacs and Petter Nordkvist
Tim Sweeney, of course!
Korakrit - http://korakrit.com/
LAZERS! PARTY FAVORS! & MUCH MORE!
FREE B4 12
$20 at the door
$UPER €HEAP ADV TIX @ ResidentAdvisor.net
Beats In Space
Brought to you by your favorite aliens:
Nick The Duke
Interview here: The Avant/Garde Diaries
Beats In Space party featuring Studio Barnhus with Axel Boman, Kornel Kovacs and Tim Sweeney on Sep 21 at Santos Party House in NYC!!
BIS 13th Anniversary Parties: NYC on Oct 12 & 13... Bordeaux on Oct 26 and Berlin at Panorama Bar on Oct 27. will announce guest DJ's soon!
Groove Magazine in Germany did a cover story on the Brooklyn House scene and put Tim Sweeney on the cover for their July/August 2012 issue.
Directed by Sacha Barbin.
In Stores May 22nd. Order the 12" here: http://igetrvng.com/shop/127
Directed by Eddie Ruscha, Steve Hanft, Ashley Dunn.
Available on the Nebula Sphynx / Parascopic Rope 12" on Beats In Space (BIS002). Purchase it here:
Record Release Party for the new Secret Circuit 12" on Beats In Space Records.
Live Performance by Secret Circuit
DJ Sets from Secret Circuit, Tim Sweeney and Matthew W (RVNG)
Friday, February 24th, 2012
Santos Party House (basement)
96 Lafayette Street
New York, NY
$5 Before Midnight
Get the 12" here:
Here's Lizzy Yoder singing live on the two new Still Going tracks:
Due out February 7th. You can pre-order the 12" here: http://igetrvng.com/discography/121
For whatever reason, these were the 6 mixes I ended up listening to over and over again in 2011:
1. Matias Aguayo (#558)
2. DJ Steve (#601)
3. Prosumer (#599 and #567)
4. Slow Hands (#590)
5. Matthew Dear (#560)
6. James Murphy (#586)
Friday, 4 Nov: ReviveHER @ EFES Snooker Club (17B Stoke Newington Road, London)
Saturday, 5 Nov: Melting Pot at The Admiral (72a Waterloo Street, Glasgow)
Sunday, 6 Nov: Horse Meat Disco at The Eagle (349 Kennington Lane, Vauxhall, London)
Italian translation first, followed by the english version: Soundwall.it interview
PART1 (Dreaming In Color & Shake The House) :
PART2 (Jack Flash & Lucid Fingers) :
PART3 (In The Mode For Love & Seeing Things) :
PART4 (Untitled & Nethermead Arches) :
Thanks to Aurora Halal for filming this!
Orthy, Junior Boys, Steve Summers (live), Beg To Differ, Morgan Geist, Tiago, Prosumer... Yes!
A nice little review on Prefixmag of the BIS party this past weekend! Thanks again for coming!
photo's courtesy of Joanne Lee
I just wanted to say a big "thank you" to all the people who came out to the 12th anniversary party Sunday! Yes, we had to do a one day switch to a new venue because it was supposed to rain, but the party still went off. It was a sweat box in that SoHo loft, so thanks for sticking it out until the end on a Sunday (and it didn't even rain!!). And, of course, a huge thank you to Kim Ann Foxman, DJ Nature, Matthew Dear, Juan Maclean, Metro Area, Rub N Tug, and Blondes for coming out and making this happen! They're all superstars! Thanks to Jon Hiltz for doing the sound and Jared for the lights. And thanks to Jify and Le Comptoir for pulling it all together.
photo credit: James Behringer
because of the weather forecast for tomorrow (thunderstorms and rain all day) we decided it would be wise to move this indoors.... we found an amazing Soho loft to do the party. Perfect for a Sunday afternoon tea party! It will now be from 2pm to 11pm at the Safe Harbor Loft (446 Broadway near Canal Street in Manhattan). Please let as many people know about this change as you can. Thank you so much and look forward to seeing you tomorrow!!! Tickets are available at ResidentAdvisor.net or $30 at the door.
2pm: Tim Sweeney
3pm: Blondes (live)
4pm: DJ Nature
5pm: Kim Ann Foxman
6pm: Metro Area
7pm: Rub N Tug
8pm: Juan Maclean
9pm: Tim Sweeney
10pm: Matthew Dear
Safe Harbor Loft:
446 Broadway near Canal in Manhattan. 3rd Floor.
Read the whole article at WSJ.com
Yes, we'll be floating the BIS stock soon. IPO action in the works.
Listen to the a-side of the new Paradis single out this week on BIS Records!
order it here: http://www.igetrvng.com/discography/110/
read the full interview here: http://halcyonline.com/2011/qa-tim-sweeney-of-beats-in-space/
Save the date: Sunday, September 25th, 2011. Williamsburg, Brooklyn. 12pm to 9pm.
Line-up announcement coming soon!!
Just $10! Get it over at RVNG
we debuted a track from the first BIS Records 12" on this weeks radio show. You can listen to it here:
1. Paradis - La Ballade de Jim - BIS Records
2. Gonno - Acdise #2 - International Feel
3. LIES - Comeback Dust (Max D's Big Top Dustheads Mix) - Future Times
4. Die Vögel - Fratzengulasch - Pampa
5. Butler Kendig - Give It To Me (SnuffCrew remix) - Mr Intl
6. Vahagn - Trust (The Backwoods remix) - Groovement
7. Suzanne Kraft - Morning Come - Running Back
8. Moullinex - Modular Jam - Gomma
9. Tambi - You Don't Know (Horse Meat Disco remix) - Strut
10. Omar Souleyman - Eih Min Elemkom (From The Day That I Told You) - Sublime Frequencies
Starts at 10:30pm here in New York City on WNYU 89.1FM!!
Tonight (August 2) : Shit Robot and Horse Meat Disco
August 9: Tiger & Woods
August 16: James Murphy
August 23: Four Tet
August 30: Mike Simonetti
Listen live at 10:30pm in NYC on WNYU 89.1FM or listen to the live stream here: http://wnyu.org/wnyu_mp3.mp3
interview by Christina Li
Tim Sweeney started his DJ and production career in his Baltimore basement at the young age of 15. Soon after moving to New York to attend NYU, he began broadcasting his radio show Beats in Space, now in its 12th year, which brought him notoriety across the airwaves. Listeners from all over the world can tune in and hear guests like DJ Harvey, Kid Koala, and Simian Mobile Disco play their favorite records on WNYU 89.1 FM every Tuesday from 10:30 p.m. to 1 a.m. Below, Tim discusses with us how he got started, joining James Murphy's DFA Records, and where he likes to get his favorite Vietnamese coffee in S.F. He plays this Friday with Lee Foss, Le Loup and more at Public Works.
You say your radio/DJ career is much attributed to your older brother. How so?
I stole all his ideas! Now I refuse to copy him anymore because he's busy running double marathons and running the Death Race. I like a nice run around the park, but I'd rather not kill myself.
What piqued your interest in radio shows?
It was my brother who was bringing back some cassette tapes of pirate radio shows from London that got me interested in radio. Then I played on a few college radio shows when I was in high school and got hooked on the radio bug. Now, [I'm] 12 years on with my own show and I can't stop!
One of your first jobs in N.Y. was with [hip-hop producer] Steinski.What was the highlight of the internship?
Yeah, Steinski was the first person I worked for when I got to New York. I learned so much from him! He's a true New York character. I think the highlight for me was the job of going through his thousands of records, listen to them, tap out the BPM of the tracks, and then write it down on a sticker on the sleeve of the record. What an education that was listening to his records! It really opened me up to so much hip-hop, soul, funk, blues, and spoken word records.
How did you become a part of DFA records?
That happened because I was working regularly at this bar called Plant on Third Street and Avenue B in the East Village. I used to open up for a lot of parties that happened there. You know, play the slot from 7 to 10 p.m. before anyone was actually there. Luke, the singer for the Rapture, was the bartender there, and I guess he kind of liked what I played because he said I should meet these guys who were producing their new record Out of the Races and onto the Tracks. I was playing a lot of old Mo' Wax Records stuff at the start of the nights, and he said one of the guys producing the record was "Trip Hop Tim." I said, "Who?" And then Luke told me how Tim Goldsworthy was producing their record with another guy named James Murphy. I knew Goldsworthy's work from the UNKLE and Major Force West records he produced, so I told Luke he had to introduce me the next time those guys were in the bar! Well, one night they showed up, probably high on Ecstasy as they usually were in those days, and I went up to them and said hello. I made a little small talk and then asked if they needed any help in the studio. They said "Sure, come on by," and then they couldn't get rid of me!
What inspired the name of your radio show, Beats in Space?
Being 18 in New York and not knowing what I was getting myself into.
Tell us about one of your most memorable shows.
The shows aren't memorable anymore, it's the listeners! Have you heard the messages from Victor [of Washington Heights]? He wants to kill me! He gets really upset if I don't play dance music. He hated the DJ Harvey show because the interview went on for way too long, so Victor said I would get my teeth kicked in by a bunch of girls so I couldn't
interview anymore. It's pretty memorable!
What do you attribute the success of Beats in Space to?
I still don't understand it!
Since you've been doing radio shows for a while, what do you think is missing in radio today? Why do you think some stations have gone under (like our own KUSF)?
Well, there are about three corporations who own almost all the radio stations in the country and they've watered everything down to the lowest common denominator in true American fashion. You don't actually have any personalities choosing the music on most stations anymore, it's just computer-generated playlists of "stuff that works" aka "bland shit." I think that has helped to add to the slow death of radio and made young people a lot less interested in it. So then the universities see that the students don't care about radio anymore and they sell their stations for some extra cash. The whole thing is sad.
Since you frequent S.F., what are some of your favorite spots?
I like getting a nice cold Vietnamese ice coffee in the Tenderloin, then walking around until I get harassed on the street while enjoying the nice smells that remind me of New York.
and more BIS Hotline messages from Victor, if you're interested:
It's time for the Cómeme style of Diegors aka Diego Morales aka Fredi Michel on BIS tonight... straight from Santiago, Chile. Listen live at 10:30pm on WNYU 89.1FM in New York City... or check the live stream here: http://wnyu.org/wnyu_mp3.mp3
Diegors next gigs:
July 15 - Diegors & Charlotte bendiks @ Datera Till Hagen, Oslo
July 22 - "Bring your ass for Whodat" Benefit Party with Matias Aguayo, Waltraud Blischke, Viola Klein, Tim Elzer @Stecken Bar Cologne
July 23 - Cómeme night with Matias Aguayo , Ana Helder, Christian S , Korkut Elbay & Lena Willikens @Salon des Amateurs , Düsseldorf
July 30 - Cómeme night With Ana Helder , Philip Gorvachev, Christian S & Korkut Elbay @ Gewölbe Club, Cologne
Aug 12 - With Ana Helder & Alejandro Paz @ Salon des Amateurs, Düsseldorf
Aug 13 - With Ana Helder & Alejandro Paz @ Stecken Bar, Cologne
Aug 19 - With Matias Aguayo & Daniel Maloso @Sud Theatre, Stockholm's Culture Festival. Stockholm
K.U.D.O. has been a huge musical hero of mine, so I'm really honored to be able to feature a mix from him on the show!! I still can't believe it's happening. K.U.D.O. is the man! In 1987 Major Force was started in Japan with K.U.D.O., Toshio Nakanishi, Takagi Kan, and Hiroshi Fujiwara. This box set of their past works that came out on Mo' Wax in 1997 is one of my all time favorite albums and I featured a bunch of tracks off it on the Japan Special I did back in March. Please tune in to the show next week!
Listen on July 5th at 10:30pm on WNYU 89.1FM in New York City or the live stream here: http://wnyu.org/wnyu_mp3.mp3
maybe you forgot about the BIS Hotline? (646) 481-8189... well, Victor from Washington Heights remembers to call every week:
The show starts at 10:30pm in NYC on WNYU 89.1FM... or listen to the live stream here:
Upcoming DJ Harvey European tour dates:
Thursday 16th June - SWEDEN - STOCKHOLM - TRADGARDEN
Friday 24th June - GERMANY - HAMBURG - BAALSAAL
Sunday 26th June - GERMANY - BERLIN - PANORAMA
Wednesday 29th June - NORWAY - TROMØY - HOVE FESTIVAL
Saturday 2nd July - AMSTERDAM - TROUW
Sunday 3rd July - AMSTERDAM - SOURCE FESTIVAL
Wednesday 6th July 2011 - FRANCE - SETE - WORLDWIDE FESTIVAL
Thursday 7th July - FRANCE - PARIS - SOCIAL CLUB
Friday 29th July - PORTUGAL - LISBON - VENUE TBC
Saturday 30th July - PORTUGAL - OPORTO - NEOPOP FESTIVAL
for the Portuguese version of Fact Magazine: "Tim Sweeney: batidas de S. Paulo a Nova Iorque"
live in the WNYU studio:
Check the Live Safer blog from the Robert Johnson club in Germany.... they did a little "behind the scenes" photo-documentary at the Itsoktohateyourjob night with residents Oliver Hafenbauer and Manuel Raven plus guest Tim Sweeney. All photographs taken by Julia Katharina Ziegler
and here's "I Don't Smoke":
Then on Friday I'll be heading up to Boston to play at Good Life for the Never Say Never party
from Ghostly International and Spectral Sounds and who also records as Audion, False, and Jabberjaw will be joining us in the studio tonight for guest dj mix. Tune in at 10:30pm on WNYU 89.1FM or listen to the live online stream here
This Tuesday night we'll have Matias Aguayo from Kompakt Records joining us on the show for a live performance. Be sure to tune in at 10:30pm on 89.1FM in New York or listen to the live stream: http://wnyu.org/wnyu_mp3.m3u When JD Twitch from Optimo says Matias Aguayo was "without a doubt the most entertaining dj set I've seen this year" we listen!
Be sure to get your calls in to the BIS Hotline before the show! Maybe you have a question you want to ask Matias Aguayo or just call and say hello: (646) 481-8189
The top 89.1 tracks I listened to in 2010
1. The Backwoods - The Backwoods LP - Ene Records
2. Cos/Mes - Gozmez Land (Chaosexotica) - ESP Institute
3. John Roberts - Glass Eights - Dial
4. The Laughing Light Of Plenty - The Laughing Light Of Plenty LP - Whatever We Want
5. Shit Robot - From The Cradle To The Rave LP - DFA
6. Superpitcher - Kilimanjaro LP - Kompakt
7. Aloe Blacc - I Need A Dollar (Tensnake RMX) - Stone Throw
8. Andy Ash - Freak - On The Prowl Breaks
9. Arthur Russell - How We Walk On The Moon (Youth Re-Rub) - Foot + Mouth
10. Arto Mwambe - One Lonely Knight (Extended Live Mix) - Live At Robert Johnson
11. Beautiful Swimmers - Touch Base - Future Times
12. Benoit & Sergio - Midnight People (Vocal Version) - Spectral Sound
13. Bib Tanga and The Selenites - Be Africa (Beg To Differ Remix) - Wurst
14. Bicep - Darwin - Throne Of Blood
15. Bot'Ox - Blue Steel (Feat. Anna Jean) - I'm A Cliche
16. Bubble Club - Morning Star (Soft Rocks Remix) - Bubble Club
17. Butler Kendig - Oh Baby (Snuff Krew Remix 1) - Mr Intl
18. Cantoma - North Shore (Idjut Boys Version) - Leng
19. Caribou - Odessa - City Slang
20. C.O.M.B.I. - Hey Look Out - C.O.M.B.I.
21. Coyote - Moving (Still Going Remix) - International Feel
22. The Crystal Ark - The City Never Sleeps - DFA
23. Delia Gonzalez & Gavin Russom - Track 5 (Âme Remix) - DFA
24. Dexter - Not The Only One (Vox) - Rush Hour
25. Discodeine - Synchronize (Feat Jarvis Cocker) - DIRTY/DFA
26. DJ Nature - Destiny Reprise - Golf Channel
27. DJ Sprinkles - Masturjakor (KiNK And Neville Watson Remix) - Mule Musiq
28. DJ T - Dis (Kink Remix) - Get Physical
29. Don Froth - 10,000CC - Phonica White
30. Dr Dunks - Keep It Cheap - Keep It Cheap
31. Emmanuel Jal - Kuar (Henrik Schwarz remix) - Innervision
32. Fairmont - 3 Cities - Traum
33. Francesco Tristano - Idiosynkrasia - Infiné
34. Hardton - Earthquake - International DJ Gigolo
35. Hector - Orale (Sis Remix) - Phonica Records
36. Hercules & Love Affair - I Can't Wait (KiNK RMX) - Mr Intl
37. Hot Chip - One Life Stand (Carl Craig PCP Remix) - EMI
38. Hot Chip - I Feel Better (Florian Meindl Remix) - Flash
39. Ideal - Schöne Frau mit Geld (Losoul Vocal Remix) - Live At Robert Johnson
40. James Chance And The Contortions - Incorrigible (Liv Spencer And DJ Spun Mix) - Rong
41. Jayson Brothers - The Game - Drum Poet Community
42. Jee Day - Snake Bite - DFA
43. John Talabot - Sunshine (Blondes Remix) - Hivern Disc
44. John Tejada - Sweat (On The Walls) (Martin Landsky Remix) - Poker Flat
45. Jori Hulkkonen - I Am Dead (Hercules And Love Affair Remix) - Sugarcane
46. The Juan Maclean - Feel So Good - !K7
47. Kaine feat Kathy Diamond - Love Saves The Day (Soulclap Remix) - Needwant
48. Kim Ann Foxman - What You Need - Mr Intl
49. KiNK - Existence - Ovum
50 .Kölsch - Loreley - Kompakt Extra
51. KZA - Le Troublant Acid - Endless Flight
52. Lauer - H.R. Boss - Live At Robert Johnson
53. LCD Soundsystem - Throw - Planet E
54. Lee Foss - U Got Me - Hot Creations
55. Locussolus - Throwdown - International Feel
56. Butler Kendig - Get Into The Groove - Mr Intl
57. Matthew Dear - Little People (Black City) - Ghostly International
58. Max Essa - Midnight And A New Direction (Visti & Meyland Remix) - Bear Funk
59. Maxxi Soundsystem - Criticize - Kojak Giant Sounds
60. Mick - Macho Brother - 10 Inches Of Pleasure
61. Midland - Play The Game (Dexter Remix) - Phonica Records
62. Mim Suleiman - Nyuli - Running Back
63. Mock & Toof - Shoeshine Boogie (Wolf + Lamb remix) - Wolf + lamb
64. Mode - Lo Fi Odyssey (The Stallions Remix) - Codek Records Europe
65. Moodymann - Ol' Dirty Vinyl - KDJ
66. Mungolian Jetset - Moon Jocks n Prog Rocks - Smalltown Supersound
67. Murphy Jax ft Mike Dunn - It's The Music (Alden Tyrell Remix) - Clone Jack For Daze Series
68. NDF - Since Last We Met - DFA
69. Nick Chacona feat Kathy Diamond - Fear (Bostro Pesopeo dub) - Moodmusic
70. Nicolas Jaar - Mi Mujer - Wolf + Lamb
71. No Regular Play - Serious Heat - No.19 Music
72. OOFT! - Ride In To The Red Zone - Foto
73. Petar Dundov - Distant Shores - Music Man
74. Rocha - Feel the Love (Welcome Stranger Remix) - International Feel
75. Roman Flügel - Brian Le Bon - Live At Robert Johnson
76. Shit Robot - Take Em Up (John Talabot Remix) - DFA
77. Simian Mobile Disco - Sweetbread - Delicacies
78. Siriusmo - Blaue Sonne - Monkeytown Records
79. Skatebård - Starwatcher II - Luna Flicks
80. Soul Clap - Extravaganza - Wolf + Lamb
81. Steve Moore - Frigia - L.I.E.S.
82. Storm Queen - Look Right Through - Environ
83. TBD - Bigs - TBD
84. TBD - Get To My Baby (TBD Extension) - Golf Channel
85. Trickski - Pill Collins - Suol
86. Virgo - Never Want To Lose You - Rush Hour
87. Welcome Stranger - Brolene - Let's Get Lost
88. The XX - VCR (Four Tet remix) - Young Turks
89. Yelle - La Musique (Discodeine mix) - Kitsuné
.1. Yours - Yours - Domeright
I found myself always going back to these couple of record labels in 2010 and loving so many of their releases:
Juan Maclean : Show #533
DJ Harvey : Show #504
Superpitcher : Show #551
Holy Ghost! : Show #506
Soul Clap : Show #541
Isolee & Koze : Show #550
Eric Duncan : Show #511
Balearic Mike : Show #534
Canyons : Show #507
1. Most fun in Paris: BIS 10th Anniversary party with Optimo and Superpitcher at the Social Club (Jan 16)
2. Still my favorite venue in Portugal: Lux Fragil, Lisbon (Feb 12)
3. Craziest times in Moscow: Denis Simachev Bar (Feb 19 & Oct 22)
4. Most fun in Sao Paulo: Lions (Feb 26)
5. Can't believe how many people show up for a party in Minneapolis and dance to anything: First Avenue (Mar 6)
6. Best party where absolutely no one shows up until the last hour: Queen Kong Club, Neuchatel (Mar 20)
7. Still in love with Glasgow crowds: Melting Pot (May 1) and Hung Up (Jul 4)
8. Weekend I might not have made it home alive: Rub N Tug at Dissonanze Festival (May 21) and Eric Duncan at Tunnel Club, Milan (May 22)
9. Best new US venue: U Street Music Hall, DC (May 30 & Oct 16)
10. Favorite venue/sound system in the world (and serves free coffee after 6am): Precious Hall, Sapporo (Jun 12)
11. Best party in New York: Marcy Hotel, Brooklyn (Jun 20)
12. Biggest crowd: Roskilde Festival before LCD Soundsystem, Denmark (Jul 1)
13. Best scenery at an outdoor festival: Aires Libres Festival, Marseille (Sep 5)
14. Best party before a visit to the hospital: Excuse Me?, Valencia (Oct 2)
15. Favorite new venue in Turkey: Mini Muzikhol (Nov 13)
16. Best party shut down by the police: Viet Cong Disco with Juan Maclean, Brooklyn (Dec 3)
17. Best home cooked dinner in the club's office: Robert Johnson, Frankfurt (Dec 18)
For those in or nearby San Francisco and looking for something to do this NYE, please come out to this Honey Soundsystem meets Sunset party with guest DJ sets from Kim Ann Foxman and Tim Sweeney. It's all happening at Public Works
Get tickets here (brownpapertickets.com)
I'll be giving away a pair of tickets to the party on this weeks radio show... so make sure to tune in. Tuesday at 10:30pm on WNYU 89.1FM in New York or listen online here: http://wnyu.org/wnyu_mp3.m3u (7:30pm for those on the west coast!). And the number in the studio to call when we do the giveaway is 212.998.1818
It's been over 5 years since we had him on the show, so it's about time to have him back on again... the myth, the legend: Superpitcher
Listen live this Tuesday night at 10:30pm on 89.1FM in New York or listen to the live stream here: http://wnyu.org/wnyu_mp3.m3u
Dimitri From Paris and DJ Koze playing music and Isolée stopping by to talk about his new album!!! really looking forward to this one. Listen live this Tuesday night at 10:30pm on 89.1FM in New York or listen to the live stream here: http://wnyu.org/wnyu_mp3.m3u
Don't miss this one!!
... Tim Sweeney playing at Robert Johnson (Offenbach/Frankfurt, Germany) on 18 December: http://www.robert-johnson.de/
Every Saturday night Radio Campus France will be broadcasting one hour of the radio show across their stations in France. You can check the start times below for each city. This Saturday will be the first broadcast with the KZA mix from this weeks show. I will also be doing some exclusive mixes for the Radio Campus station, so if you're in France, please tune in!
ANGERS - 103.0 > 11 pm
BORDEAUX - 88.1 > 10 pm
BREST - 101.1 > 10 pm
CAEN - 92.7 > midnight
CLERMONT-FERRAND - 93.3 > 11 pm
DIJON - 92.2 (monthly)
GRENOBLE - 90.8 > midnight
LILLE - 106.6 (monthly)
LYON - 90.7 > 11 p.m.
MARSEILLE 88.8 (radio Grenouille) > midnight
MONTPELLIER 102.2 > 11 pm
ORLEANS - 88.3 > 10 p.m.
PARIS - 93.9 > midnight
TOULOUSE - 94.0 > midnight
TOURS - 99.5 > 11 p.m.
Foolish Felix Dickinson will be joining us in the studio tonight and we've also got a guest mix from Mark E on the show. Should be fun.
And this weekend I'll be heading out to Europe to play with Tim Goldsworthy on Friday night at Plastic People in London and then heading over to Athens on Saturday to play a new party there called Outro Athens.
See you soon!
1. The Backwoods - The Backwoods - Ene Records
2. Murphy Jax ft Mike Dunn - It's The Music (Legowelt Remix)) - Clone Jack For Daze
3. Rocha - Feel The Love (Welcome Stranger's Invention Dub) - International Feel
4. Ideal - Schöne Frau mit Geld (Losoul Vocal Remix) - Live At Robert Johnson
5. V/A - Concentration - Volume I - ESP Institute
6. Mark E - Christo - MERC
7. Dr Dunks - Keep It Cheap - Keep It Cheap
8. OOFT - Ride In To The Red Zone - Foto
9. Mim Suleiman - Mingi - Running Back
10. Butler Kendig - And I'm (So In Love) - Mr Intl
unfortunately, the audio server has been down today which is why all the download and stream links are missing. no word yet from the server company on when things will be back up and running. fingers crossed it will all be back to normal by tomorrow.
we arrived in Sapporo and they've got aquariums at the airport! nice!
that weekend it was the annual Yosakoi Festival happening in Sapporo. Crazy outfits and dancing going on
afterwards, it was time for the sound check at Precious Hall
banner at precious hall with their logo
one set of speakers... this sound system was incredible!! please try and make a pilgrimage to this club. it's worth it! I think it's my favorite club in the world now!
keep it McIntosh! (kim ann/silvia photo credit)
sound check (kim ann/silvia photo credit)
then it was off to dinner. tofu up first
a little spinach salad, please
japanese crab! (kim ann/silvia photo credit)
ferris wheel in sapporo
huge japan on the ceiling of the hotel entrance!
back to the club... kim ann performing live! nice shades!
at about 7am they brought out the free coffee for everyone! I needed it. we didn't stop until 10:15am!
kim ann at about 8am
gotta' find the perfect record! (thanks to kim ann/silvia for the photo)
the next day, kim ann and silvia took off for tokyo and I hung around in sapporo for a couple more days. the river in sapporo:
sapporo style road works
japan loves giant mechanical crabs!
then I went for a quick sushi dinner
that one on the left looked crazy
and of course, have to keep things classic with a Sapporo Beer!
my last day in Japan and Satoru-san was nice enough to take me fishing in Sapporo!
there were lots of people fishing where we were
we caught a crab and a flounder. haha
after we finished fishing, Satoru-san took me to check out his other club: Fillmore North. This is where David Mancuso comes to do his Loft party in Japan. It was another amazing place! It's only open once a week and the same crew that works at Precious Hall works at the Fillmore North. I really want to see The Loft there one day. The sound system is exactly like The Loft in New York. All Klipsch Horn speakers:
special needles, turntables and mixer:
view from the dj booth
view of the dj booth
then it was time for a japanese homestyle dinner and off to get some rest before my long flight home!
pick up a special rice ball for the airplane ride
made it to narita airport, now time to fly home! thanks Sapporo!!!
octopus and squid
clams (sorry, forgot to take a picture before we ate them all!)
after dinner we headed to Grandfather's Bar
and met these characters
they really liked Kim Ann and Silvia!
we requested some songs from Grandfather's huge record collection... but they didn't have them!
lunch the next day in shibuya. perfect for the sake hangover.
then it was time for more record shopping... Lighthouse Records
Music Land Key... my key to Japan too: Tokyo, Osaka, Sapporo, Fukuoka!
Next up... Kim Ann doing sound check at Eleven
Silvia and Kim Ann getting ready to eat!
Chef Tim cooking up a storm! (thanks to Kim Ann/Silvia for the photo)
asparagus and salt
raw meat and egg! yeah!
Grilling some meat
more meat and a nice flower!
korean style okonomiyaki
rice number 1
rice number 2
we were stuffed... but time to go to the club. good crowd! (thanks to Kim Ann/Silvia for these last couple photo's)
end of the night... no one wants to go home!
next day at the airport... treated myself to a hokkaido melon ice cream to get ready for sapporo! haha.
After Osaka I headed down to Fukuoka for 3 nights...
first up, lunch at the train station in Osaka
then time for the shinkansen bullet train!
inside the train (I wish Amtrak could be this nice/fast!!):
arriving at Hakata station (Fukuoka's central train station)
then straight to the record store! digro market
view number 2 of ticro market
always have to hit up a Lawson when you're thirsty!
famous Ramen noodle place on the street in front of my hotel
fukuoka style road works
Onsen time! My first experience at a Japanese onsen. We drove about 45 minutes out of the city to this place in the mountains:
entering the onsen
view inside the onsen (sorry, couldn't take any more than that! haha)
after we finished at the onsen, we had dinner at the restaurant there. first up, tofu
then it was a chicken nabe... fukuoka is famous for its chicken
view of the hot pot
after you finish all the chicken and vegetables you add rice and eggs to the soup!
then it was back to Fukuoka... I don't know what it's about, but I like this duck!
the next day I checked out Ohori Park and the ruins of the Fukuoka castle
view on top of the ruins
another view of the city
one side of the castle where they still had a building
shinto shrine on the way to Ohori park
a small bridge in the park
also inside the park
longer bridge to the other end of the park
then it was time for dinner before the party... we went to this spot that specialized in maguro (tuna)!
dinner... all kinds of tuna!
afterwards, it was time to go to the club... Kieth Flack
thanks for the great party, Sati!
the next day... quick soba and rice ball before my flight to tokyo
Thanks to Sati and the crew at Kieth Flack for everything in Fukuoka!
Okay, here's a run down of my Osaka trip... yes, it's all about the food!
flight from Narita airport to Osaka:
Dinner in Osaka.
First up: Tofu
Final version of Okonomiyaki
Drinks (Red Eye and Makkuri)
Osaka Record Stores
Crazy Looking Building
Cafe With Many Cats!
Crazy looking hotel
Rare Groove Records
Front Door for Cauliflower
Inside of Cauliflower
Final version of Kimchi Okonomiyaki
Live Art show
Mr Tan Ikeda DJing at Contort
now onto Fukuoka.
The final Optimo (Espacio) is this Sunday in Glasgow. If you're anywhere near, please go! These guys are amazing. The music is amazing. And the people who go are amazing. There's no better party in the world. Long live Optimo!!
My favorite party in the world is ending April 25th (after 12 and a half years!!).... get your tickets out there now:
they'll be calling in from Sydney later on in the show tonight for a little to go along with their mix too.
also, just posted some pictures of my super short tokyo trip this weekend: http://twitpic.com/photos/BISradio - such a good time!
all photo's by Shelton James
really excited to have Harvey coming back on the show this week. Look out for his new Locussolus project coming out on International Feel.
Okay, I'm sure I forgot some... but here's my top 89 for 2009 (in alphabetical order) :
1. 6th Borough Project - Do It To The Max - Instruments Of Rapture
2. The Aliens - The Sunlamp Show (Disco Bloodbath Remix) – Channel 83
3. Animal Collective - My Girls - Domino
4. Azari & III - Reckless With Your Love – Permanent Vacation
5. Azari & III - Hungry For The Power - I'm a Cliche
6. Basic Soul Unit - Things Pass - Ostgut Ton
7. Black Disco Vol 3 - Chains (Nitedog's Anonstop Edit) - Blackdisco
8. Black Meteoric Star - Dreamcatcher - DFA
9. Blackjoy - Monilola - Deeply Rooted
10. Boris - Buzz-In (An Optimo (Espacio) mix) – Scion/AV
11. Bottin - No Static - Italians Do It Better
12. Burial & Four Tet - Moth - Text
13. Chamboche - Ipso Facto - Under The Shade
14. Club Silencio - Painted Boxes (The Heels Of Love Acidisco Version) - Mad On The Moon
15. Code 718 - Equinox (Henrik Schwarz Dub) - Strictly Rhythm
16. Curses! - The Deep End (Holy Ghost! Day School Dub) - Institubes
17. Discodeine - Invert (Parce Que Edit) – D.I.R.T.Y
18. DJ Hell - U Can Dance (Tim Goldsowrthy RMX) - Gigolo
19. DJ Sprinkles - Grand Central Pt.1 (Deep Into The Bowel Of House) MCDE Raw Mix - Endless Flight
20. Dr. Hook & The Medicine Show - Penny (Galleon Trade's Hooked On Penicillin Version) - Golf Channel
21. Etienne Jaumet - For Falling Asleep (Christian Vance Slow Burning Saxless Remix) - Versatile Records
22. The Faint - Battlehymn For The Children (Tensnake Dub RMX) - Boys Noize
23. Faze Action - Good Lovin' - Faze Action
24. Fever Ray - Triangle Walks (Rex The Dog Remix) - Rabid
25. Fever Ray - When I Grow Up - Rabid
26. Fjord Funk - Bells Are Ringing For You (Syntax Erik Remix) - Luna Flicks
27. Floating Points - Vacuum - Eglo Records
28. Friendly Fires - On Board (Joakim Remix) - XL
29. Gotye - Heart's A Mess (Supermayer Mix) - Kompakt
30. Grackle - Desert Acid (Musiccargo RMX) - Supersoul Recordings
31. Gus Gus - Add This Song - Kompakt
32. Hannulelauri - Sally 2000 (Jori Hulkkonen Version) - Flexx
33. The Hasbeens - You And Me - Clone West Coast Series
34. Headman - Gimme (Kango's Autostrada Dei Kaghi Mix) - Relish Recordings
35. Hot Toddy Feat. Ron Basejam - I Need Love (Morgan Geist's Love Dub) - Eskimo Recordings
36. Idioma - Landscapes Tim Paris Remix - Marketing
37. Jacob Korn - I Like The Sun (But Not On LED's) - Running Back
38. Jessica 6 - Fun Girl (Liv Spencer Remix - bis dub)
39. Joakim – Spiders (Extended Version) - Versatile
40. John Selway - Shake The Snow - Throne Of Blood
41. The Juan Maclean - Accusations (Gavin Russom Remix) - DFA
42. Krikor And The Dead Hillbillies - Break It All - Tigersushi
43. Lemonade - Bliss Out (Frisvold & Lindbæk Remix) - Sunday Best Records
44. Lil Tony - Employee Only – Running Back
45. Lindstrom & Christabelle - Baby Can't Stop - Smalltown Supersound
46. LoSoul - Bitshit02 – For Disco Only
47. Marek Hemmann - Inessa - Freude Am Tanzen
48. Matias Agauyo - Ay Ay Ay LP - Kompakt
49. Midnight Magic - Drop Me A Line -
50. Motor City Drum Ensemble - Raw Cuts # 5 / Raw Cuts # 6 - MCDE
51. A Mountain Of One - Bones (Thomas Way Of The Ancients Remix) - AMR
52. Mungolian Jet Set - We Gave It All Away… And Now We're Taking It Back LP - Smalltown Supersound
53. Musiccargo - Cargo Rock - Amontillado Music
54. Mutant Beat Dance - Ina Daze Feat. Eric D Clark - Discos Capablanca
55. Nakion - Deux Ex Machina (Joakim Remix) - Tigersushi
56. Nacho Patrol - Futuristic Abeba EP - Kindred Spirits
57. Naum Gabo - Pictur (Joakim Remix) - This Is Not An Exit
58. Naum Gabo - Black Lab (Discosession Remix) - Endless Flight
59. Neurotic Drum Band - Neurotic Erotic Adventure - Wurst
60. Oni Ayhun - OAR 003-b - OAR
61. Palms - Boundary Waters (Gavin Russom Remix) - Rare Book Room Records
62. Patrick Cowley & Jorge Socarras - Robot Children - Macro
63. Permanent Vacation - Zuckerhut (TBD Remix) – Permanent Vacation
64. The Phenomenal Handclap Band - You'll Disappear (Horse Meat Disco Remix) - Gomma
65. Pixeltan - Yamerarena-i - DFA
66. Precious System - The Voice From Planet Love (Marcus Worgull Remix) - Running Back
67. Prosumer & Murat Tepeli - U & I - Ostgut Ton
68. Redshape - Globe - Delsin
69. Revolver - Birds in Dm (Joakim Remix) - EMI
70. Rune Lindbæk - Odessa – Luna Flicks
71. San Serac - Music Never Ends (M's Music Mix By Morgan Geist) - Environ
72. Scott Hardkiss - Come On, Come On (Morgan Geist RMX) - God Within
73. Seth Troxler & Mathew Dear - Hurt - Spectral Sound
74. Shit Robot - Simple Things (Original and Todd Terje Remix) - DFA
75. SidWho? - Run Violet (Jamie Paton Edit) - The Walls Have Ears
76. Skwerl - Liron - Gigolo
77. Sly Mongoose - Noite (C's Long Edit) - Ene
78. Soft Rocks - Light Bulb - Mule Musiq
79. Still Going - Spaghetti Circus - DFA
80. Stoned Green Apples - Sugar K (Yura Yura Teikoku Remix) - Crue-L
81. Syntax Erik - The Pimp (Dark Dub Version) -
82. TBD - LB (Justin Vandervolgen Edit) -
83. Tensnake - In The End EP - Running Back
84. Thee Mutant Beat Dance - In A Daze Feat. Eric D. Clark - Discos Capablanca
85. Tiga - BeepBeepBeep (Loco Dice RMX) - Different
86. The Time & Space Machine - Time & Space Taxi - 5D
87. Tony Lionni - Found A Place - Ostgut Ton
88. Visti & Meyland - Yes Maam (All Nite Long) (Henrik Schwarz Remix) – Eskimo Records
89. Who Made Who - The Plot - Gomma
Thanks to Andy Beta for the write-up!
I'm heading to the airport in just a couple hours, but just wanted to remind those people in Australia about the BIS tour heading down to OZ. Here's the info:
Nov 27 - HAHA Industries at The Civic, Sydney
Nov 28 - Stereosonic Festival, Sydney
Nov 29 - Stereosonic Festival, Perth
Dec 5 - Stereosonic Festival, Melbourne (Early)
Dec 5 - Steresonic, Adelaide (Late)
Dec 6 - Stereosonic, Brisbane
Dec 11 - Meredith Festival
Dec 12 - The House de Frost at The Toff in Town, Melbourne
Jerry was one of the best drummers I've have ever seen, but besides that was one of the nicest guys you could have met. Jerry just seemed to brighten any room he was in and always have a good time. There honestly was never a time when I wasn't happy and excited to see Jerry (a drumming, record collecting, touring machine!). I'm still in shock about the whole thing. We're all going to miss him!!!
The New York Times has done an article about what happened.
RVNG also have 15 of the limited edition 10th Anniversary posters for sale.
so, we're doing a Beats In Space 10th Anniversary Party this Friday in London at Plastic People (there will be more 10th Anniversary Parties coming up over the next couple months in different cities, by the way)... anyways, we're making 10th Anniversary T-shirts with the same design, but those won't be ready in time for this Friday, so I'm bringing along these hand screenprinted posters instead. they're 18 inches by 24 inches on 130lb paper. Only 50 were made. I'll try and bring about 20 to London, so come out and buy one! by the way, if you can't tell, the poster lists all the guests that have been on the show over the past 10 years.
Maft Sai caught my attention with his two Thai funk compilations called "Thai Funk ZudRangMa". The packaging for these comps is amazing too. I asked Maft Sai for a mix and he turned in something special. in his words "(with) this mix I didn't play too much of Thai Funk but instead "Luk Thung Music" = "Children of Rice Fields" which is the roots of Thai Funk most of the production is around late 60's - 70's + last couple of tracks is "Molam Music" = "Dance Doctor" Music of Thailand-northeast area (more percussion based) also on a same era as Luk Thung." it'll be something special, so make sure to check it out tonight.
he also does his own radio show called Radio ZudRangMa, so make sure to check that out!
Tonight we've got Strangefruit returning to the show. This time, he'll be in the studio with us.
Next week Sal P from Liquid Liquid will be joining us in the studio for some vegan cooking lessons. Don't forget to check out Liquid Liquid performing live (and for free!!) in New York on Saturday, August 8th at the Damrosch Park Bandshell at Lincoln Center: more info.
Sal also has his Fist Of Facts project coming out on Claremont 56 right now. Here's a youtube video of that.
And if you're in Europe over the next two weeks, don't forget to come out to one of the parties I'm playing: Montpellier, Munich, London, and the Big Chill festival.
The French/Japan connection this week. I:Cube will be DJing at the Sunday Best party this weekend (July 19th) in Brooklyn and he'll also be out in Los Angeles on Saturday, July 18th for the Futurehouse Party at The Custom Hotel.
Nice little mark down on the BIS t-shirts for the summer... all prices include shipping as well:
$15 for the US
$20 for Canada
$25 for the rest of the world.
As you can see from the note above, I will be wearing my HNYSNDSYSTM speedo's during the show tomorrow. Hot stuff! Make sure you check out Honey Soundsystem whenever you're in San Francisco.
Big thanks to Henrik Schwarz and Ame for coming on the show! Their mix is now online.
Next Tuesday we've got New York's own Rub N Tug coming to the studio!
Look out for his new album in April!
Thanks to Kevin and Eric for the recent update to the website. We shouldn't have any more confusion on where to click to download the shows now. If you want to see all the mixes from a certain DJ on the show, please just use the drop-down menu at the top of the playlist page.
Just wanted to clear things up a bit about how to find where to download shows: just click on the blue bar that has the show number and date above the pictures for each show. That will bring you to the Playlist detail page where you can find the mp3 download link.
We'll be making this a little easier to figure out in the next couple days so that if you click on the DJ name or the pictures it will bring you to the download page, but right now if you click on the DJ name it brings you to a page listing all the DJ sets from that DJ on the show. In the future you'll be able to find this same info from just using the drop down menu on the playlist page with all the DJ names.
okay, that's it for now!
I'm really honored to present a mix tonight from one of my all-time hero's: Andrew Weatherall! He's had his hand in so much amazing music, from his early days working with Primal Scream to his group projects as Sabres of Paradise and Two Lone Swordsmen... and all the remixes he's done! He's one of those people where if I see his name on a record, I pick it up without listening.
And starting off the show tonight we've got a mix from Sean Johnston of the Hardway Bros. Sean's got a new record coming out now on one of our favorite labels at the moment: Luna Flicks. Luna Flicks is run by Strangefruit from Mungolian Jet Set and Kango from Fjordfunk & Kango's Stein Massiv. Look out next week because we've got a mix from Kango on the show!
Listen in tonight. Weatherall and Sean planned out their mixes to go together tonight, so it will be a nice flow for the 2.5 hours!
We've got Traxx from Chicago coming by the studio tonight. He's released on labels such as Crème Organization, Crème-Jak, Gigolo, Muzique, Relief, M/O/S, and under different monikers such as XXART, SATURN V, X2, THE GREEN GOBLIN, DIRTY CRIMINALS and some more. He's also collaborated with James T. Cotton, DJ Hell, Green Velvet, D`marc Cantu, Mount Sims, and Legowelt. Should be fun.
also, found this nice mp3 site today that I'm sure people who listen to the show would be interested in: donnaslut
I'm just starting to get through it, but some really amazing music.
Okay, we're finally up and running with the new website. It's been years since there's been any change to the site (originally designed by XXXChange), so I thought it would be nice to have an update since we'll be coming up on 10 years old soon! There could be a few problems at the beginning, but give us a little time and it'll all be smoothed out. If you're finding any problems, please let me (email@example.com) know. Big, big thanks to Kevin O'Neill from RVNG and Will Work for Good for designing the new site!